PDA

View Full Version : Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A: March 16, 2005

Kstat
03-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I was never a fan of 1-and-1 penalties. Either shoot two FTs, or dont. Thats a little absurd.

Hicks
03-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Question: What happened to the only referee (I don't know his name) to try to break up the fight in Detroit? I haven't seen him on any other Pacers games this year. Is he still around? (Angie from Columbus, Ind.)

Answer: You're speaking of Tommy Nunez Jr. I don't recall him working in any other Pacers games this season, either, although I don't know that for sure. I'm certain there's no connection with the brawl, however.

Nunez lives in Arizona, I believe. At least his father, who is a retired referee, does. So he probably works Western Conference games most of the time. I can't imagine the league would bar him from working Pacers games, though.

The Pacers obviously have nothing against him, because he was the only referee who tried to intervene when things were getting out of hand. I've always wondered if the other two refs were fined or punished somehow. The league doesn't publicize that, however.

Funny timing. Nunez Jr. is one of the referees tonight vs Utah.