PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle to coach the University of Virginia?

A-Train
03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Andy Katz just reported on SportsCenter that the University of Virginia would like to replace Pete Gillen with Rick Carlisle as their coach (Carlisle is on their wish list, at least).

Any chance Rick goes back to his alma mater to coach? Has anyone ever heard talk of Carlisle wanting to be a college coach?

Lord Helmet
03-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Uh... how about NO.

PaceBalls
03-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Andy Katz just reported on SportsCenter that the University of Virginia would like to replace Pete Gillen with Rick Carlisle as their coach (Carlisle is on their wish list, at least).

Any chance Rick goes back to his alma mater to coach? Has anyone ever heard talk of Carlisle wanting to be a college coach?

Oh god, I sure hope not... Plus the money can't be near as good. I hope Rick stays in indy for 15 more years.

Has Rick ever coached college ball before? People talk about college to pros transition being tough, but it might be harder the other way around.

FiestyFosterFanatic
03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I will be very dissapointed if Rick leaves.

Jermaniac
03-14-2005, 06:37 PM
If he leaves maybe we can bring Zeke back to coach then ;)

Cactus Jax
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM

:eyebrow:..... :eek: :spitout: :scream: :puke:

ChicagoJ
03-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Holy crap. You all think I've been bitter/negative lately... wait and see what happens then.

:suicide:

Will Galen
03-14-2005, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't like it, but Bird could then promote Mike Brown from associate head coach. I think Mike's going to make a good head coach.

Unclebuck
03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Rick is an NBA guy. he has the perfect demeanor for the NBA. I would be shocked if he ever coaches in college

Bball
03-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Ummmm... This would be one of the unexpected consequences of having a season like this. It wouldn't surprise me if Rick did think it over and make the move IF he has any desire to coach college ball.

With the turmoil that this team has gone thru it is very possible Rick has a large question in his head if he can put Humpty Dumpty back together. And with this much chaos, who is to say Rick exactly agrees with the Pacers' plans for next season. Are they handling this like he'd prefer? Would he prefer Artest gone and knows it isn't able to happen for one reason or another? Is he fed up with Bender like some fans (me)?

Did management handle THIS season like Rick would've wanted?

I have no idea the answer to those questions but a self-induced coaching move wouldn't surprise me too much.

-Bball

Jermaniac
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Holy crap. You all think I've been bitter/negative lately... wait and see what happens then.

:suicide: Zeke would have probably jumped in the stands and decked some fans with Jack lol

Kstat
03-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Zeke would have probably jumped in the stands and decked some fans with Jack lol

Yeah...Im sure he would......

DrBadd01
03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Will, were did you get that picture of the cat? , It has become my favorite avatar.

Kegboy
03-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't like it, but Bird could then promote Mike Brown from associate head coach. I think Mike's going to make a good head coach.

I'd like it. :innocent:

Anyway, normally, I'd jump at the chance to get out of the cutthroat NBA coaching circles and coach college. But after today's Black Monday, maybe college is becoming too much like the pro's. :uhoh:

I wonder how long it'll be until Larry Brown is rumored. It is an ACC school, afterall. :-p

Cactus Jax
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah...Im sure he would......

Yeah, I think Isiah's number would be removed/unretired by the Pistons and he would be hated forever there.

Will Galen
03-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Will, were did you get that picture of the cat? , It has become my favorite avatar.

It was in an email someone sent me. It's been doctored though. I've seen the same picture of the cat with several different objects.

McKeyFan
03-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I've announced that Angelina Jolie is on my list for pizza delivery girl. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get her.

I've been an avid UVA fan since 1976. No way Rick goes there. Just can't see it.

ImReppinBtown
03-15-2005, 12:18 AM
If he goes to VA that would be ridiculous.

Los Angeles
03-15-2005, 12:22 AM
I've announced that Angelina Jolie is on my list for pizza delivery girl. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get her.

I've been an avid UVA fan since 1976. No way Rick goes there. Just can't see it.
I don't think logic is welcome here.

;)

Doug
03-15-2005, 07:58 AM
<shrug>

After this season, nothing would surprise me.

At least we'd get Mike Brown.

FiestyFosterFanatic
03-15-2005, 08:09 AM
If Zeke was the head coach, the entire team would have been in the stands, and the Palace would have been burnt to the ground. Hell, the riot would still be going on.

Stryder
03-15-2005, 08:33 AM
If Zeke was the head coach, most fans would not be in the stands, but at home...

3Ball
03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
I seriously cannot imagine anyone -- ever -- doing a better job coaching a team than Rick has this year with the Pacers. He's kept his cool and kept this team competing. If we had one of these prima donna star coaches, they would have freaked out and melted down. Rick has been cool and professional. And by the way, even though nobody can be happy with a .500 record, with what we've endured this year, .500 is a damned miracle.

Los Angeles
03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I seriously cannot imagine anyone -- ever -- doing a better job coaching a team than Rick has this year with the Pacers. He's kept his cool and kept this team competing. If we had one of these prima donna star coaches, they would have freaked out and melted down. Rick has been cool and professional. And by the way, even though nobody can be happy with a .500 record, with what we've endured this year, .500 is a damned miracle.
I'm quoting you because I think everyone here should read this twice.

Or three times.

Or four times.

:)

gilpdawg
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm quoting you because I think everyone here should read this twice.

Or three times.

Or four times.

:)
Agree totally. With all the crap that's gone on this year, we should be about 10 games UNDER .500! It's a tribute to good coaching and gutsy play by some of the youngsters that we are still in playoff contention.

pacerwaala
03-15-2005, 08:11 PM

I completely agree. If Larry Brown was the coach, it would take him jsut a day to start all the execuses. He would have showed up the players in the press and it would have been a mess. I wonder how other coaches would have handled it.

Los Angeles
03-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't think this was brought up yet:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/carlisle_virginia_050316.html

Carlisle Not a Candidate for Virginia Job

By Conrad Brunner | March 16, 2005

Whenever the head coaching job at his alma mater is available, it appears Rick Carlisle will be mentioned in published reports speculating on the list of candidates.
A co-captain on Virginia's 1984 NCAA Final Four team, Carlisle said he is "not a candidate" for the job that became open when Pete Gillen stepped down Monday. Carlisle was also mentioned as a candidate in 1998, before Gillen was hired. At the time an assistant to Pacers Coach Larry Bird, Carlisle said then he preferred to remain in the NBA. Those feelings haven't changed.

"I have very strong feelings about the University of Virginia," Carlisle said. "It's a great institution and I have great loyalty there but at this point in time I am not a candidate for that job. My loyalties are with the Indiana Pacers and continuing to work toward earning a playoff spot.

"But it is a great job. It's a great situation. They've got a brand-new facility there that is going to be among the very best in college basketball. Someone's going to walk into a great opportunity."

A $130 million, 15,000-set arena is scheduled to open in 2006, bringing high expectations for the once-proud program. Gillen was 118-93 in seven seasons at Virginia but reached the NCAA Tournament just once, making four trips to the NIT. Other names reportedly linked to the job are Rick Barnes of Texas, Mike Brey of Notre Dame and Tubby Smith of Kentucky.

PacerMan
03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
None of us has ANY idea how tough dealing with Artest and the situation has been on Rick. It certainly could wear me out pretty quickly. (ok it did, from 130 miles away).
I wouldn't be stunned if he said "enough", especially if Donnie/larry want Artest back and he doesn't.

But I'd be surprised.

He's got a good, young team, with an incredible motivation for NEXT year. And they listen to him..................................
He's paid well over what any college would pay, and he'd have to RECRUIT, which is enough to just about drive college coaches out of the game these days. To go from dealing with professionals (well kinda) who LIVE the game, to dealing with 18 y/o's making grades and limited time they have to work on their game, would be very difficult it seems to me.
Have any SUCCESSFUL pro coaches gone back to college LATELY??

I think it's just Virginia's wish list.

A-Train
03-19-2005, 04:20 PM
I don't think this was brought up yet:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/carlisle_virginia_050316.html

Carlisle Not a Candidate for Virginia Job

By Conrad Brunner | March 16, 2005

Whenever the head coaching job at his alma mater is available, it appears Rick Carlisle will be mentioned in published reports speculating on the list of candidates.

I never believed he would ever take the job, but thanks for the confirmation.

:cool: