PDA

View Full Version : Will Reggie still be in uniforme next season?

DEEman
03-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Do you guys think there is a possibility that Reggie wil give it another try next year?

I know, he just sad he wants to quit, but man...He played one hell of a game against the Warriors. The man looked 29! I havent seen the game last night, against the Cavs, but UB for instance said that Reggie played damn terrific again.

So if he is playing like god again, why not give it another try next year, when everybody is back? I cant understand, if you still can play like that, with such a big dream in mind, he just going to stop

Do you guys think Reggie will, or more important CAN, come back to his decision?

ABADays
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Because of this hell hole of a season, I would love for him to give it one more go around. But . . . I don't think he will.

able
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
the only, and that is imo the absolute only chance he might change his mind is if he listens to his good friend DD who has announced he will try and persuade RM to give it one last try.

For all other purposes I am pretty sure he has had enough, though it is painful to see how much he is still capable.

it seems to me and perhaps all of us that calling it a day while being stil able to do what he is doing at the moment, is one year to soon, but then again, we will always feel that it is either to early or to late :D

Diesel
03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
the only, and that is imo the absolute only chance he might change his mind is if he listens to his good friend DD who has announced he will try and persuade RM to give it one last try.

For all other purposes I am pretty sure he has had enough, though it is painful to see how much he is still capable.

it seems to me and perhaps all of us that calling it a day while being stil able to do what he is doing at the moment, is one year to soon, but then again, we will always feel that it is either to early or to late :D

I agree with you, we now know that Reggie can still play at a high level on the offensive end. There are going to be days where because of age and wear and tear he's going to struggle but he has the capability to still average 16pts a game over a course of a season. The one thing that is sad is Rick Carlisle has not found a way with all the injuries to get Jermaine Oneal and Reggie Miller to play effectively together.

I never understood why Carlise is so reluctant to start the game running the offense through Reggie for the first couple of minutes to start the game, such as lots of staggered screens and motion, this is where not only Reggie but Steven Jackson excels, then at the six minute mark Reggie takes a seat and the offensive runs through Jermaine Oneal in the post. This team can use some variety on the offensive end, hopefully Oneal comes back and this trio can so some damage in the playoffs.

Los Angeles
03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I have to play devil's advocate here - but older players know their bodies well. What were to happen if Reggie went down early in the season? I would give it maybe one day before the "I wish Reggie had retired like he promised and then we'd have 6 Million more dollars to get healthy players" thread.

3ptmiller
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Do you guys think there is a possibility that Reggie wil give it another try next year?

I know, he just sad he wants to quit, but man...He played one hell of a game against the Warriors. The man looked 29! I havent seen the game last night, against the Cavs, but UB for instance said that Reggie played damn terrific again.

So if he is playing like god again, why not give it another try next year, when everybody is back? I cant understand, if you still can play like that, with such a big dream in mind, he just going to stop

Do you guys think Reggie will, or more important CAN, come back to his decision?

Thats what many thinks and we do want him back, but Reggie just had enough and wants to step back so some younger guys can develope, specially at his position, he already did his thing with Jermaine/Ron by steping back, but there are alot of other player aswell who can play at SG position.. Reggie is still a threat and i DO hope for a return next year tho

Bball
03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Didn't word finally change to saying Reggie had a straight 3 yr deal? If so, one of the conditions for his return that I'd like to see is gone. I'd like to see him not execute an option on his contract and therefore be a FA and re-sign with the Pacers at the minimum AND publically volunteer to come off the bench.

Then I'd like to see the 'throw the ball into JO every trip down the floor' offense be tossed into the scrapheap.

I'd also like to see JO work on his passing....

I'd also like to see the team (management) NOT at all rely on Reggie as a vital cog in the team and make whatever moves they planned to make without him anyway.

No legacy starts.

And finally I'd like to see Reggie have fewer minutes, and those minutes not be dominated by tossing the ball into JO every trip down the floor. ... whether that is a coaching decision or a Reggie decision.

But if those conditions can't be met then I'd prefer Reggie retire so we can move on. Seeing Reggie win a ring here (or anywhere) would be great but he needs to be in a position where he's not an anchor to the team getting that ring.

-Bball

3ptmiller
03-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Then I'd like to see the 'throw the ball into JO every trip down the floor' offense be tossed into the scrapheap.

I'd also like to see JO work on his passing....

I'd also like to see the team (management) NOT at all rely on Reggie as a vital cog in the team and make whatever moves they planned to make without him anyway.

No legacy starts.

And finally I'd like to see Reggie have fewer minutes, and those minutes not be dominated by tossing the ball into JO every trip down the floor. ... whether that is a coaching decision or a Reggie decision.

But if those conditions can't be met then I'd prefer Reggie retire so we can move on. Seeing Reggie win a ring here (or anywhere) would be great but he needs to be in a position where he's not an anchor to the team getting that ring.

-Bball

Man i cant believe somebody in here thinks exactly like me about Jermaine.. watch out BBALL now because "jermaniac" & CO. will start bashing

ABADays
03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
The one thing that comforts me in this situation is the plain and simple fact Reggie is going out when he knows and everyone should realize he can play at a very high level. No Willie Mays situation here. The other is that I think #31 is looking forward to the challenge of a broadcasting career.

rabid
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
You know, maybe the reason Reggie IS playing at a high level is that he knows he's going to retire soon... IOW he knows he can pretty much abuse his body as long as he can keep it up for another couple months or so.

He's emptying the tank.

bread
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Personally I don't think he'll come back. I don't know why, that's just the feeling I get.:whoknows:

I would love it if he came back next year after all of the turmoil this season because nobody wants to see him go out this way. However, does anyone think he would be effective next year as a starter? I know this has been talked about many times here but does anyone think he would realistically come off the bench? If not, he's already proved that with any combo of JO/Jax/Ron on the floor he will defer. And why have him out there if he's not shooting? So put him with the 2nd unit and let him be a scoring option. Otherwise I don't see any benefit to him coming back.

Assuming DD and JJ re-sign, Pollard is traded and Bender is, well, Bender...

Starters:
JO
Ron
DD
Jax
Tins

2nd Unit:
Cro
JJ
Foster/Hulk
Reg
FJ/AJ

I could live with that squad!:cool:

ChicagoJ
03-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Personally I don't think he'll come back. I don't know why, that's just the feeling I get.:whoknows:

Perhaps because he said,

"I just believe it’s time," Miller said. "I’ve always said to you that when I felt this organization, this franchise, the players were able to take the next step, I think it would be time for me to move on. I really think the younger players, Fred (Jones), Stephen (Jackson), I think these are able, willing bodies to carry this franchise on.

"It started off in ’87, (when) there really wasn’t a lot of excitement for the Pacers. Right now we’re at the level, where, arguably if we had everyone healthy, we’re in the top 10. This is the time for me to move on and for the other guys to step into the light."

and then in response to JO, he said,

Told that Jermaine O'Neal said he would try to convince him to change his mind, Miller made it clear that wasn't going to happen.
"No," he said. "There’s no Michael Jordan thing going on. There’s none of that.”

I don't think he's coming back, because he's been pretty emphatic about it.

Let him walk away in peace... no need to drag him through all of this if he believes "its time."

:cool:

bread
03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Perhaps because he said,

"I just believe it’s time," Miller said. "I’ve always said to you that when I felt this organization, this franchise, the players were able to take the next step, I think it would be time for me to move on. I really think the younger players, Fred (Jones), Stephen (Jackson), I think these are able, willing bodies to carry this franchise on.

"It started off in ’87, (when) there really wasn’t a lot of excitement for the Pacers. Right now we’re at the level, where, arguably if we had everyone healthy, we’re in the top 10. This is the time for me to move on and for the other guys to step into the light."

and then in response to JO, he said,

Told that Jermaine O'Neal said he would try to convince him to change his mind, Miller made it clear that wasn't going to happen.
"No," he said. "There’s no Michael Jordan thing going on. There’s none of that.”

Oh yeah, now I remember why!:D

Ok, so now we'll look like this:

Starters:
JO
Ron
DD
Jax
Tins

2nd Unit:
Cro
JJ
Foster/Hulk
FJ
AJ

I guess I could live with that squad too! :-p

Kegboy
03-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Let him walk away in peace... no need to drag him through all of this if he believes "its time."

:cool:

This is nothing. Wait 3-4 years, when all the Rik Smits-esqe "Let's bring him back" bull**** is still going on. :rollout:

3ptmiller
03-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember why!:D

Ok, so now we'll look like this:

Starters:
JO
Ron
DD
Jax
Tins

2nd Unit:
Cro
JJ
Foster/Hulk
FJ
AJ

I guess I could live with that squad too! :-p

What a perfect team, but how can we be so sure that next year Nobody will get injured again? :)

Suaveness
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
We still need more scoring off the bench for next year if you ask me

Lord Helmet
03-14-2005, 04:36 PM
No, Reggie will not be in uniform next year. He is done. His play still is great, but he believes its time for him to move on. Its sad, but at least he is going out peacefully and not because of an injury.

I hope Reggie can stay active within the franchise, but I don't think he will.

RWB
03-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie come back sometime after the season has begun kind of like the Tim Hardaway or Mike Curry signings. Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

grace
03-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie come back sometime after the season has begun kind of like the Tim Hardaway or Mike Curry signings. Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

I guess you didn't hear when both he and Cheryl said when he's done he's done. No Michael Jordan stuff.

Anthem
03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Will Reggie still be in uniforme next season?

If Reggie wants to play for another season, why would he play in Europe? I'm sure the Pacers would love to keep him.

DEEman
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
If Reggie wants to play for another season, why would he play in Europe? I'm sure the Pacers would love to keep him.

My english is way more better than your Dutch ;)

Los Angeles
03-15-2005, 12:19 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3Ball
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Of course, even if he retires, and even if he doesn't play for most of next season, there's nothing to say that the Pacers can't resign him in, say, March if they are contending. He could come back rested and refreshed and ready to hit a few more 3s coming off the bench. And of course the Pacers would dump lucky #15 on the IL and take him back in a heartbeat. That way Reggie keeps his options open. If next March we're anything like this March, he won't have to endure it.

ImReppinBtown
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
As much as I would love to see Reginald play next year....it wont happen.

Mourning
03-15-2005, 12:53 PM

That seems like a pretty safe assumption, yes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

3Ball
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
De regel van Pacers! Reggie is grootst van al tijd, en wij zullen terug tegen April zijn om de wereld!! te beslissen

Anthem
03-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Ik heb geen idee wat u over spreekt. :devil:

Seriously, you know the old joke. If you speak three languages, you're trilingual. If you speak two languages, you're bilingual. If you speak one language, you're an American.

Muchos kudos on your excellent mastery of the English language, man. If I'd known you weren't a native speaker, I (probably) wouldn't have made the joke.

I still thought it was funny, though. :D

Mourning
03-16-2005, 01:39 AM
"Seriously, you know the old joke. If you speak three languages, you're trilingual. If you speak two languages, you're bilingual. If you speak one language, you're an American."

New to me, but one I will keep in mind, thx ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And ... to continue on this "line" ehmmm...

"Ik heb geen idee wat u over spreekt." <-- "wat" should be "waar" :mad: ;) JK.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

DEEman
03-16-2005, 04:21 AM
If I'd known you weren't a native speaker, I (probably) wouldn't have made the joke.

I still thought it was funny, though. :D

No problem Anthem. I know you were joking ;)