PDA

View Full Version : AJ and Reggie were terrific

Unclebuck
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Come on some of you lukewarm AJ fans must admit that he had a great game tonight. Not only was he hiting shots but he was actually creating some ofense, no wait he was creating a lot of offense out there. He really had several nice playmaking plays.

Reggie was vintage, circa 1998 tonight. Drawing fould, flopping around, getting under the opponents skin, hitting shots, hitting tough well defended shots. By any measure Reggie was great tonight.

Other than those two guys though, no one else did much. Dale and Scot were OK, but they could not keep Z and all the Cavs big guys off the offensive glass.

In fact that rebounding was the key. The Pacers should have had a 12-13 point lead at halftime if it weren't for the rebounding.

I don't know if an individual player has had a more important performance against the Pacers this whole season, than what Lebron had tonight. Looked to me like the Cavs were deep in the water in the first quarter until Lebron took the game over and played a great game from the 4 minute mark of the first quarter on. He lifted his team more so than any player has against the Pacers this season. Cavs were very physical tonight and the Pacers did not respond well enough.

I don't think the Pacers played a bad game. They could not control Lebron and they could not keep the Cavs off the offensive boards, otherwise the Pacers played relateively well.

Jermaniac
03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
21 offensive rebounds by the Cavs, thats the whole story right there and why we lost.

scar
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm an Anthony Johnson hater. But I was impressed by his game. I haven't watched that many Pacer games this season but I did catch this one and I'll say that AJ played solid. He started the game and so he was actually STARTING the tempo of the game instead of coming in and changing it. I think that had alot todo.

Also, that dunk by AJ was pretty awesome. I didn't even know AJ could dunk, let alone dunk in traffic whilst 3 Cavs players collapse on him. Bravo.

Unclebuck
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Cavs had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half

Lord Helmet
03-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Agreed, Unclebuck. Reggie was vintage and I love seeing it from him. These are the games that make me question his decision to retire. He was getting a lot of flopping fouls tonight and broke the Pacers record of consecutive free throws made, too bad he missed one.

Anthony Johnson, what a game! He was dishing out assists everywhere. And he hit a few nice jumpers. He also had a very nice dunk. AJ, good for you. :)

And rebounding, we just couldn't get any tonight. Big Z made us pay on put backs several times. And, that is what I think killed us tonight. I agree, UB, that if we could have gotten more boards we could have had a bigger lead at the half.

The refs were horrible, they called a bunch of pansy fouls and if it weren't for Reggie actually getting some of them I think I would have went mad.

Bottom line, when you are given the chance to move up in the standings, like tonight, you need to win. Lets hear some good news about Jermaine tommorow and get a lot more above .500. We better watch out for these next to teams that come into Conseco this week, though. The Jazz will play hard after that lose against us and the Lakers will try to put on the Kobe show.

3ptmiller
03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea AJ was aight and uncle reggie did his thang... Jackson & Freddy had a bad day tho and we lost many rebounds, just another reason to why we lost :(

McKeyFan
03-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Cavs had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half

And we kept up with them in the first half, making me think that stat is not quite as important. (Only 7 in second half.)

My memory is that Foster was not playing during crunch time. I wonder if that had an effect. I think he's a gamer, much more so than Pollard. There was a stretch there where it went from tied to them 8 or 10 up in about one or two minutes. That was the game right there.

At that point, I think Lebron sort of took over. He was shooting really long fadeaways. I don't think anyone could have stopped him. I think we could have won this game, but I also think Lebron James is scary good.

Ragnar
03-14-2005, 08:26 AM
AJ had a good game for him but he is incapable of controlling the tempo.

ChicagoJ
03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Two comments on AJ.

1) I don't remember that he played for the Cavs, but Michael Rugheri kept saying he was an ex-Cav. Can somebody jog my brain on this...

2) They loved his game, and I'll admit that he played far better than usual last night, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement when the opponents TV guys like your backup PG.

They said, and this is interesting although I'm paraphrasing and adding my own explanation: that he's a really smart player and he makes things happen by his persistence, not his talent/ ability/ athleticism. And I think that's generally true - give him enough minutes and he'll eventually figure out how to be successful... as long as he doesn't completely destroy your chances while he's figuring it out.

I did like the in-traffic dunk, that's far-and-away the most athletic move I've ever seen him make.

Hicks
03-14-2005, 11:09 AM
AJ played part of a season with :cavaliers in the 2000-2001 season.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_johnson/

ABADays
03-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Props to him for his game last night. I have, however, noticed lately he really does struggle keeping the ball when somebody is really pressuring him.

Los Angeles
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Props to him for his game last night. I have, however, noticed lately he really does struggle keeping the ball when somebody is really pressuring him.
I don't think that's anything new. During the playoffs last year, it was well known that if AJ was on the court, th easiest way to get the ball back was to pressure him.

I remember alot of full-court presses during the Pistons series.

It's AJ's weak side - and it's been noticable for a while now.

Unclebuck
03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't think that's anything new. During the playoffs last year, it was well known that if AJ was on the court, th easiest way to get the ball back was to pressure him.

I remember alot of full-court presses during the Pistons series.

It's AJ's weak side - and it's been noticable for a while now.

There was very little if any full court pressure in the playoffs. You must be remembering the nightmares of the early April game last season. I think prior to that game 70% of of the posters on this forum liked AJ, after than game 70% hated AJ.

Los Angeles
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I remember Detroit doing the full-court thang, but maybe I'm alone here.

Unclebuck
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Are you guys going to make me watch the 6 game playoff series again. I remember commenting during the series about how little the Pistons were pressuring full court. Generally the Pistons went full court when James and Hunter came in, but one of them was injured. Kstat will know.

ChicagoJ
03-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm happy to be an AJ-basher, but he played his best basketball in months during the ECFs. Didn't make up for Tinsley's injury, of course.

Seriously, as UB implied but didn't exactly say, he sucked much less than usual vs. Detroit.

He faced some full-court pressure, but he handled it better than a blindfolded monkey would've. And there were some games in March/ April in which the blindfolded monkey would've clearly outplayed him.

There, I think I got all of my crabbiness for today out in one post. :-p

King Mob
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
We didn't do a whole lot of full court press during the playoffs. I remember Milwaukee beating it repeatedly during the first game or two of that series, and that was pretty much the end of it. We still did it on occassion, but not 80% of the time the ball was being brought up, like we did in the regular season.

sweabs
03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I don't remember Detroit pressing as much in the Playoffs as they did during regular season. That was a relief to me.

I absolutely hated the combo. of Lindsey Hunter and Mike James - and I'm so glad that James is no longer with the Pistons. He is an exceptional defender, and just real quick on his feet. Put that together with Lindsey Hunter, and you have 2 real pesky guards that forced a LOT of turnovers.

If he was still with them this year, he would not only bring that defense but also present a deadly outside threat which they've been lacking. Thank you lord.

Kegboy
03-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I still say it was stupid for Detroit to let Mike James go. Yeah, I know they eventually lucked into Arroyo, but I think no legitimate backup point is a big reason for their poor first half of the year.