PDA

View Full Version : The 5 second rule

Jose Slaughter
03-12-2005, 01:28 AM
First of all I don't follow college hoops very close. I'll catch part of a game here or there but seldom watch more than a couple minutes of any one game.

I recall a rule that might still be in place where the player with the ball had to pass or shoot within 5 seconds, is that correct?

Anyway, I was watching Troy Murphy struggling a little bit in the first half tonight with getting open enough for a shot or to find an open team mate & was wondering what the NBA game might be like if it had a 5 second rule.

What would the impact (thanks Jay) be, good or bad?

Kstat
03-12-2005, 01:32 AM
the rule only takes effect if the player is being aggressively defended. The player has to pass, shoot, or make an aggressive drive to the basket within 5 seconds.

However, there is no 5-second rule in the NBA. That would be stupid.

The only reason for a 5-second rule was to take the place of the shot clock.

Now that the NCAA has a shot clock, i dont think they need one either. Just leave the rule to highschool.

Jose Slaughter
03-12-2005, 03:28 AM
I didn't know the particulars of the rule, since like I said, I don't follow the college game.

I didn't know if some might think it would increase ball movement & lead to more scoring opportunities.

Just curious.

Kstat
03-12-2005, 03:30 AM
I didn't know the particulars of the rule, since like I said, I don't follow the college game.

I didn't know if some might think it would increase ball movement & lead to more scoring opportunities.

Just curious.

It was originally intended to prevent stalling, moreso than to speed the tempo.

Then the shot clock came around, and made the 5 second rule irrelevant.

DisplacedKnick
03-12-2005, 07:53 AM
There is, I believe, a 5-second "back-down" rule in the NBA where a guard backs a player into the post - if he keeps the ball five seconds it gets turned over.

This is a big time pet peeve of mine. I've seen that called several times against guards. I've NEVER seen it called against Shaq, JO or any other big man. I suppose I could check the rule itself, maybe it reads; "Any player 6'5" or shorter who holds the ball while backing his man down ..." :(

fooddaman
03-12-2005, 10:18 AM
There is, I believe, a 5-second "back-down" rule in the NBA where a guard backs a player into the post - if he keeps the ball five seconds it gets turned over.

This is a big time pet peeve of mine. I've seen that called several times against guards. I've NEVER seen it called against Shaq, JO or any other big man. I suppose I could check the rule itself, maybe it reads; "Any player 6'5" or shorter who holds the ball while backing his man down ..." :(

Actually, I believe that it is nicknamed the "Mark Jackson" rule. If you remember correctly, back in 99-00 Jack would typically, take the ball and methodically back his man down from either side of the basket all the time keeping his head up. He would either make a simple pass to Dale /Rik or shoot over his man. It was very effective, but also was not very exciting to watch. Therefore the rule is that when a player gets the ball below the free-throw line and pounds the ball must either shoot or pass in 5 secs. I believe it doesn't matter the size of the player, however, typically, the bigger guys in the post only have 3 secs if they receive the ball in the paint :rolleyes: Sometimes, they could probably be called for the 5 secs, but that doesn't officially start until they start dribbling, therefore if they are in the paint the 3 sec rule should be applied first.