PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Stroke in the NBA History?

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Who would you put in your top 3 ugliest stroke list? here is my list...

1. Shawn Marion = everytime he shoots the ball im LMAO :laugh: , he shoots like if he was playing basketball for the first time in his life you know..? with two hands! right from the chest! haha.. the stroke is just so ugly and unprofesional... i just cant believe he shoots like that because if i did shoot like that in my basketball team my coach would Rape me!! But the miracle is that he actually can hit those shots and still be a great player! It just schocked me when i saw him play for the first time, when i saw him play i saw him Block,steal,rebound,dunk he was scoring like 30 points that time, i was like "WOW! this guy is really skilled!! my favourite player!!" then i saw him shoot a 3PTer and miss it AIR BALL, mannn... just the STROKE, wow, so ugly.. got shocked how a good player like that dont know how to shoot a decent basketball stroke!

2. Shaquille Oneal = he holds the ball with his finger tips and just flaps it and misses aswell.. terrible stroke... terrible accuracy..

3. Bill Cartwright = no comment.. just ugly

SjA3837
03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Reggie Miller ;)

ImReppinBtown
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Shawn Marion has theeeeeeeeee ugliest shot I've ever seen.

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Reggie Miller ;)

Hey save that to the Sweetest Stroke Thread later! :)

SjA3837
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh my...

sweabs
03-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Man, were you even born when Bill Cartwright was playing?

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Man, were you even born when Bill Cartwright was playing?

Cmon rcarey, i think Bill was an awesome basketball player... but im talking about stroke here..

sweabs
03-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Cmon rcarey, i think Bill was an awesome basketball player... but im talking about stroke here..

I know...I wasn't debating that.

Seriously, are you old enough?

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 04:54 PM
I know...I wasn't debating that.

Seriously, are you old enough?

Ehh.. sometimes.. i just dont understand americans

marcd
03-10-2005, 04:56 PM
How about two of our own

When shooting a jumpshot...

Dale Davis or Jeff Foster

I wince every time one of those guys launches anything outside of 5 feet.

MarcD

SjA3837
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't really mind Fosters jumper. What about Austins' tho...? Whoa... it's just out there waiting to get blocked.

Suaveness
03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Actually, Foster's jumper looks really pretty, but since he doesn't really practice it, it never goes in as much...it honestly looks really nice stroke

indiana_07_pacers
03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Josh Childress

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
I shoot the same way Cro does.

And Ill admit straight up, it is a UGLY looking shot

but hey, if it goes in it goes in.........

I dont wanna brag but my stroke looks pretty much like Ray Allens ;) so ive heard from my teammates

DisplacedKnick
03-10-2005, 05:28 PM
If we're talking form then Reggie's ranks right down there with the worst of them - he never squares his legs and its more of a push shot than a pure jumper. You'd never show tape of Reggie when you're teaching someone to shoot. Foster's form is much better.

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 05:33 PM
If we're talking form then Reggie's ranks right down there with the worst of them - he never squares his legs and its more of a push shot than a pure jumper. You'd never show tape of Reggie when you're teaching someone to shoot. Foster's form is much better.

I think Reggies stroke is very very sweet.. but maybe today its weaker yes.. he is not perfect tho, because always after he releases the ball he always smacks his right wrist to the left forearm/wrist "SMACK!" you can almost hear it when he does it.. have you noticed it?

A-Train
03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Juwan Howard

3ptmiller
03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
But you all have to agree on Ray Allen... thats the sweetest stroke ive seen from any Baller in NBA History.. just how he jumps so high in air and holds the ball so perfectly like if it was Piccaso designing his shooting form and flips the wrist and follows thru, it looks like slow motion... so smooth so beutifull

shags
03-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Tayshaun Prince has a real funky looking jumper too.

waxman
03-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Jamaal Wilkes

Miller_time04
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
My stroke looks pretty much like Reggie's to, probably because I was obsessed with him like some of the other posters on this board are when I was younger. Just rubbed off on me I guess, but hey if it goes in it doesn't matter what your form looks like.

Eindar
03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
But you all have to agree on Ray Allen... thats the sweetest stroke ive seen from any Baller in NBA History.. just how he jumps so high in air and holds the ball so perfectly like if it was Piccaso designing his shooting form and flips the wrist and follows thru, it looks like slow motion... so smooth so beutifull

I thought you wanted us to talk about ugly strokes....

Manute Bol!

Hoop
03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
The Past:
Bill Cartwright
Clint Richardson
Micheal Adams

Present Day:
Shawn Marion

Kstat
03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Tayshawn Prince.

Old school: marty Conlon. Ugliest. Shooting. Style. Ever.

pollardfreek
03-10-2005, 09:29 PM
One of my favorites all-time, Rick Barry, had the granny shot going. People think it's silly but they're just stupid, especially in this era in where it's all about looking cool and not about performance.

Jermaniac
03-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Bender has a pretty ugly shot,the way he shots the ball it seems like he is playing hot potato and wants to get the ball out of his hand as soon as possible, I have no idea how the shot goes in.

Mr. Pink
03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Peja kinda has a funky shot as well. The way he brings it back over his head and releases is a lil odd. ESPECIALLY for a Euro b-ball player.

JOneal7
03-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Juwan howard! dude jumps as high as he can...then shoots downward with a beak like motion..its ugly

ChicagoJ
03-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Old school: Marty Conlon. Ugliest. Shooting. Style. Ever.

:laugh:

That's the truth. End of discussion, IMO.

3ptmiller
03-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Old school: marty Conlon. Ugliest. Shooting. Style. Ever.

Who is that? got any Pic or video of him? I cant believe you took him over Shawn marion... that stroke must be really wicked ? He must be shooting the ball like a 7 year old girl do.. you know, the two handed Golf swing hehe

ChicagoJ
03-11-2005, 11:22 AM
A quick Google search on Marty Conlon yielded the following fascinating page:

http://www.sonicscentral.com/9192.html

Look for player evaluations for future Pacers McKey, Pierce, and Johnson.

And the blurb about Conlon "a game only a mother could love" - perfect.

naptownmenace
03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Wow, I can't believe this discussion has lasted this long and there has been no mention of Chris "Clank" Dudley.

Watching him at the free throw line was hilarious, embarassing, and sad all at the same time. No one has had a worse free throw stroke.

Other dishonorable mentions:

Dennis Rodman (remember when he started shooting 3s and do I even have to mention FTs?)
Ben Wallace
Dikembe Mutombo
Mark Jackson (mainly his jumper... the teardrop was great)
Shawn Marion (one of my favorite players but that release is so unorthodox)

_PD_
03-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Yep. Marty Conlon, Bill Cartwright. And let's not forget Shaq's squirt shot at the FT line. And Wilt had fine form at the FT line as well. I guess that's why he shot so many hooks.

Chris Dudley once went to the free throw line, the worst foul shooter in the nba, to shoot 2. There were TWO lane violations. He missed all four.

Kstat
03-11-2005, 05:20 PM
There is NOTHING ugly about Ben Wallace's shooting style, except the result.

naptownmenace
03-11-2005, 05:30 PM
There is NOTHING ugly about Ben Wallace's shooting style, except the result.

That's kind of like saying, "That chic would be cute if she didn't have all those warts on her face." The fact remains that ugly is ugly.

King Mob
03-11-2005, 05:42 PM
We're talking solely about shooting form though, and Ben's isn't ugly. He's just a poor shooter. Tayshaun on the other hand, has one elbow way out to his side, and looks like he's shooting the thing with just his thumbs. Shawn Marion looks like he's throwing a half-assed chest pass at the rim.

Patrick Ewing and Anthony Mason always used to throw me off because they always shot it on the way down, instead of on the way up or at the peak of their jump.

sweabs
03-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, and don't know if the name has been mentioned yet...but, Marcus Camby.

Kstat
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
That's kind of like saying, "That chic would be cute if she didn't have all those warts on her face." The fact remains that ugly is ugly.

We aren't listing BAD shooters, we're listing UGLY shooters.

Ben's shooting form isn't ugly at all.

shags
03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Ben's actually got decent form. Watch him shoot and just study the form. It's fine.

The problem with Ben is he's got no touch. None. Most of these players mentioned thus far had touch to overcome their odd form. You can teach proper shooting mechanics and fundamentals but you can't teach touch. You either have it or you don't. And Ben has none.

shags
03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
The Past:
Bill Cartwright
Clint Richardson
Micheal Adams

Present Day:
Shawn Marion

Michael Adams. Great one. What a crazy looking jumper.

GO!!!!!
03-11-2005, 08:00 PM
who can forget that wacko knicker bocker Chris " 3 PointMan " Dudley he'd have to the be the ugliest shot ever

After that.. I'm not to sure... Cro's is pretty un orthodox