PDA

View Full Version : The dumbing down of Pacers Digest

abington
03-10-2005, 12:51 PM
I am wondering whether there can be a new-thread per day limit imposed on posters as it now appears that the board is plunging into an adolescent nightmare.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I am wondering whether there can be a new-thread per day limit imposed on posters as it now appears that the board is plunging into an adolescent nightmare.

Well, we HAD a kiddie board for this kind of thing...where did it go?

abington
03-10-2005, 12:53 PM

yeah i Know. this is absolutley insane.

Harddrive7
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I agree 100%, I remember when I first was introduced to Basketball boards and I started with ESPN boards. You could always tell when school let out. This kind of reminds me of that.

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 01:01 PM
and you are?
100 some posts and your telling the board what should go on?
fall back...

ChicagoJ
03-10-2005, 01:03 PM
This thread is well-meaning but probably not a good idea.

Suaveness
03-10-2005, 01:05 PM

I think you have to do something bad, which doesn't include dozens of meaningless threads.

Harddrive7
03-10-2005, 01:06 PM
As I'm certain that this will start something and probably will be deleted or moved, I can see where the poster is coming from. But you're right, probably not the best of ideas and I shouldn't have replied fueling it anymore than it needed to be.

Apologies.

Spicoli
03-10-2005, 01:06 PM
:lurk: :alcohol:

_PD_
03-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Not to add more meaningless blather to this thread, but vapacer is right. I noticed a couple of threads this week and almost every post was ignored. It was a thing of beauty! :laugh:

Hicks
03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
If you have a problem with anyone, please use the ignore feature. I'm also looking into finding a hack/mod (Sauce/able can you help?) that will make this forum's ignore function more like the one on the past software (bbBoard, the one we used before this one). That one, instead of showing the ignored users' post as "Blank is on your ignore list. Click to see this post.", simply removed the post altogether as if it were not there. I know this board can handle that, so I'm betting there's a mod out there to make it do that. That way everyone can read/see what they want.

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Alright fine, I will for the first time break out the ignore feature. The miscreants have won. Every time we finally abolish immaturity from our ranks we seem to forget why we got rid of it in the first place. And here we are. I agree, I can just ignore what I do not want to read. However I fear that the latest revival of the children is going to ward off any productive posters who discover PD for the first time.

They will see lots of posts with lots of "X's" and numbers under them and proceed to move on.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't get it....what immaturity have I posed? I have posed very interesting discussions for the board in a very mature way. The only immature post I may have posted was about the fight I got in, but the forum admins moved it to the proper forum.

What I get out of it is that the haters are not happy that this forum has become pro-Ron Artest 100%. Why would that upset you so much? He is a vital member of our team and we should be proud of him and realize the importance of him for us to win a championship.

I am not a 10 year kid, I am almost 21, and I like to raise interesting points. From time to time, we will discuss events about the brawl and other issues. It is funny that the haters and the Piston fans on this board have allied together. I find that absolutely hilarious. I am here to make this board more productive. When I was not here, often times there were no serious active discussions on this board and I want this board to succeed while being pro-Pacers and pro-Ron Artest like it should be rather than an appease Piston fans while being critical of all our players. Hicks is a good guy, we just had some disagreeements but we understand each other now.

For the haters, just don't read the thread or put us "kids" on ignore and enjoy Piston basketball talk by your fellow Piston fans. :devil:

grace
03-10-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree 100%, I remember when I first was introduced to Basketball boards and I started with ESPN boards. You could always tell when school let out. This kind of reminds me of that.

:lmao:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet so maybe someone has reminded people about the ignore list. Mine's actually getting quite large. I wonder if there's a limit to now many people can be listed.

According to kerosene I shouldn't be so emotional about the board that I need to use the ignore list. I gues I'm just a pysco. :arrgh:

sweabs
03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
It's not so much an emotional thing, as it is annoying. Having to scroll through some of the stuff is just garbage. The ignore list makes that scrolling a lot less tedious on the precious index finger though :)

Shade
03-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't get it....what immaturity have I posed? I have posed very interesting discussions for the board in a very mature way. The only immature post I may have posted was about the fight I got in, but the forum admins moved it to the proper forum.

What I get out of it is that the haters are not happy that this forum has become pro-Ron Artest 100%. Why would that upset you so much? He is a vital member of our team and we should be proud of him and realize the importance of him for us to win a championship.

I am not a 10 year kid, I am almost 21, and I like to raise interesting points. From time to time, we will discuss events about the brawl and other issues. It is funny that the haters and the Piston fans on this board have allied together. I find that absolutely hilarious. I am here to make this board more productive. When I was not here, often times there were no serious active discussions on this board and I want this board to succeed while being pro-Pacers and pro-Ron Artest like it should be rather than an appease Piston fans while being critical of all our players. Hicks is a good guy, we just had some disagreeements but we understand each other now.

For the haters, just don't read the thread or put us "kids" on ignore and enjoy Piston basketball talk by your fellow Piston fans. :devil:

As far as you go personally, Sassan, your viewpoint on Artest is already very well documented. We don't need a dozen news posts a day about Ron and why hez the bestest OMG!!!11111ONE111!! or about the brawl. Been there, done that, tired of hearing/talking about it.

Of course, if people REALLY want these threads to stop, they need to just let them die. Don't reply to them. That's what I try to do. And/or use the ignore function. ;)

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 06:23 PM
As far as you go personally, Sassan, your viewpoint on Artest is already very well documented. We don't need a dozen news posts a day about Ron and why hez the bestest OMG!!!11111ONE111!! or about the brawl. Been there, done that, tired of hearing/talking about it.

Of course, if people REALLY want these threads to stop, they need to just let them die. Don't reply to them. That's what I try to do. And/or use the ignore function. ;)

God I wish this was true. But the problem is that these are so frequent that they invite others who are interested in making the same type of posts. Others who had a little shame that told them that if they made these types of posts they would be shunned by a more intellectual population. However when they now read the main page of the forum it lets them know that they will have strength in numbers.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 06:23 PM

I agree, but the Dale Davis thread was a very interesting discussion on indystar and I wanted to post it here.

If someone comes on here to bash Artest then I will come on here to defend him as well. Fair is fair. Isn't Jay's view on Artest well documented? If so, why hasn't the bashing stopped?

grace
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Hicks, when we get that new improved ignore will it make it so I can't see the the people I ignore quoted? :pray:

Sass, I don't happen to enjoy your posts so I assume you are labeling me a hater. Since I've been a Pacer fan longer than you've been live I find that rather insulting. :punch:

Hicks, how soon are we getting that new ignore thing?

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
God I wish this was true. But the problem is that these are so frequent that they invite others who are interested in making the same type of posts. Others who had a little shame that told them that if they made these types of posts they would be shunned by a more intellectual population. However when they now read the main page of the forum it lets them know that they will have strength in numbers.

Intellectual? Who deems who is intellectual and who is not? I am a very smart person and my posts have not been "stupid". They have raised very interesting points.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Hicks, when we get that new improved ignore will it make it so I can't see the the people I ignore quoted? :pray:

Sass, I don't happen to enjoy your posts so I assume you are labeling me a hater. Since I've been a Pacer fan longer than you've been live I find that rather insulting. :punch:

Nope, I never labeled you as a hater. Only a certain member. Hate me all you want....as Reggie Miller says..."I love Being The Enemy". LOL.

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Nope, I never labeled you as a hater. Only a certain member. Hate me all you want....as Reggie Miller says..."I love Being The Enemy". LOL.

Why Hicks!!!!!! Why!!!!!!

"Haters" "LOL"

C'mon. For the Love of God.

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicagoJ
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
As far as I can tell, I've started a grand total of 153 posts here over the past two seasons.

The last thread I started on the topic of Ron Artest was shortly after he quit on the team/ was benched for two games in November.

That's right, I haven't started a single thread about Artest since the brawl (although I've posted articles about the brawl but that's not the same thing.)

Have I responded with my opinion on the subject? Yes. Every single time its brought up? No. More than I should? Maybe, maybe not. I've had feedback (from Pacers fans upset with the team) telling me to "keep preaching it" and out of respect for some of good on-line friends I've also submitted to thier requests to "back-off" at times.

But its certainly true that I'm not starting new threads all the time about last November's news. It seems to me that's what people are complaining about.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
As far as I can tell, I've started a grand total of 153 posts here over the past two seasons.

The last thread I started on the topic of Ron Artest was shortly after he quit on the team/ was benched for two games in November.

That's right, I haven't started a single thread about Artest since the brawl (although I've posted articles about the brawl but that's not the same thing.)

Have I responded with my opinion on the subject? Yes. Every single time its brought up? No. More than I should? Maybe, maybe not. I've had feedback (from Pacers fans upset with the team) telling me to "keep preaching it" and out of respect for some of good on-line friends I've also submitted to thier requests to "back-off" at times.

But its certainly true that I'm not starting new threads all the time about last November's news. It seems to me that's what people are complaining about.

Remember that recent poll we had on this forum? Would you support Ron Artest if he came back. Weren't you one of 8 members or so that would not support his return while everyone else would? Give me a break...you may have a couple of supporters but that's it.....you can all fit in a minivan.

ChicagoJ
03-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, and how many people didn't vote either way on that poll because it callled Ron a "nutjob."

Polls with two extreme choices are statistically incapable of providing a true gauge of the board's general sentiments. Stryder can finish this discussion far more eloquently than I can.

You always do an interesting job of shifting the issues around, by the way.

SoupIsGood
03-10-2005, 06:50 PM
They have raised very interesting points.

I'm sorry, but you may as well put that in your signature. What you say and the way you say it is very repetitive, can't you, at the very least, phrase it differently?

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, and how many people didn't vote either way on that poll because it callled Ron a "nutjob."

Polls with two extreme choices are statistically incapable of providing a true gauge of the board's general sentiments. Stryder can finish this discussion far more eloquently than I can.

You always do an interesting job of shifting the issues around, by the way.

Give me a break Jay...you always try to take the validity away of something that you do not like the result of...face it, Ron is a Pacer and will be a Pacer and we Pacer fans love and support him!!!! WE LOVE YOU RONNNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 06:56 PM
WE LOVE YOU RONNNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good God.

:laugh: He just couldn't contain himself anymore, it just bursted out of him:laugh:

ChicagoJ
03-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't have any problem being in the "smart minority".

I don't base my opinion of the situation based on popular opinion/ the majority.

Gotta run... good night.

Harmonica
03-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Remember that recent poll we had on this forum? Would you support Ron Artest if he came back. Weren't you one of 8 members or so that would not support his return while everyone else would? Give me a break...you may have a couple of supporters but that's it.....you can all fit in a minivan.

That poll was pretty extreme. It certainly wasn't a fair representation of how most people really feel about Ron, one way or another. Where you go off the rails, my friend, is that even Ron's supporters here for the most part respect Jay's opinions about Ron. It's what's is called having a civil debate. When it digresses into name-calling ("Hater, hater, nee-ner, nee-ner, nee-ner"), it's an indication of a weak cause and a shortcut to thinking. I imagine had Ron trampled a small child on his way to assaulting the wrong person, you'd no doubt still support him.

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 06:58 PM
D*mnit that was funny:laugh:

"We love you RONNIE!!!!!!"

Don't listen to them Ron, they're not real fans, they lie, all the time they lie.

Don't go Ron, please don't go.

We love you RONNIE!!!!!!

:laugh:

grace
03-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I can't and won't quote Sass because he's on ignore list, but I just have to comment and then I'm getting off line so I don't hurt my poor, defensless computer.

[the scene: grace's computer room]

grace: [sitting in front of computer chanting softly] I will not tell Sass what I really think of him. I will not sink to his level. I won't tell him I think he's a :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:! I refuse to think ill of him for daring to quote Reggie. I will however PM Hicks and tell him that if I had the power I'd ban the little :censored: for life.

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I can't and won't quote Sass because he's on ignore list, but I just have to comment and then I'm getting off line so I don't hurt my poor, defensless computer.

[the scene: grace's computer room]

grace: [sitting in front of computer chanting softly] I will not tell Sass what I really think of him. I will not sink to his level. I won't tell him I think he's a :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:! I refuse to think ill of him for daring to quote Reggie. I will however PM Hicks and tell him that if I had the power I'd ban the little :censored: for life.

It has to wait till he is done reading mine.

Suaveness
03-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Seriously Hicks, that ignore feature where you can completely get rid of posts would be fantastic. I mean, I look at the first page, and half the threads are started by Sassan, Reggiemiller84939449, and JOneal7 or whatever.

SoupIsGood
03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Give me a break Jay...you always try to take the validity away of something that you do not like the result of...face it, Ron is a Pacer and will be a Pacer and we Pacer fans love and support him!!!! WE LOVE YOU RONNNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Abington is either pulling his hair out in a choleric fit, or smirking, watching you prove his point.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't have any problem being in the "smart minority".

I don't base my opinion of the situation based on popular opinion/ the majority.

Gotta run... good night.

LOL Smart minority? I won't get into personal insults but you are surely not in the "smart" minority. You are in the exact opposite. I'm sure your viewpoint is more knowledgable than legandary greats like Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D :D :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Suaveness
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
LOL Smart minority? I won't get into personal insults but you are surely not in the "smart" minority. You are in the exact opposite. I'm sure your viewpoint is more knowledgable than legandary greats like Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D :D :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I have absolutely no problem with Jay, and I do consider him smart. Even though he and I rarely agree on anything, I value his opinions.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
That poll was pretty extreme. It certainly wasn't a fair representation of how most people really feel about Ron, one way or another. Where you go off the rails, my friend, is that even Ron's supporters here for the most part respect Jay's opinions about Ron. It's what's is called having a civil debate. When it digresses into name-calling ("Hater, hater, nee-ner, nee-ner, nee-ner"), it's an indication of a weak cause and a shortcut to thinking. I imagine had Ron trampled a small child on his way to assaulting the wrong person, you'd no doubt still support him.

It was a very fair accurate poll, and I remember in the post Jay had said it was a fair representation of viewpoints. It was far from an "extreme" view. You may not like the results so you resort to call it "extreme" but most active forum members participated in the poll.

Suaveness
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Mr. Abington is either pulling his hair out in a choleric fit, or smirking, watching you prove his point.

Probably both, considering he cant do anything about so many threads

Hicks
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM

grace, it probably won't exclude quotes. And there's not a timetable because it may or may not exist right now.

Hoop
03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
You guys are all a bunch of whiney p*ssys, who gives a ***** what people post and if they love Artest or Reggie maybe just a little too much for your liking. As long as the trolls are kept out I'm a happy camper.

One of my favs and one of our best posters has an almost insane love for Dale. Does he get constantly beat down and told he shouldn't be here, no.

At least the over the top Reggie and Artest lovers are fans and are not trolls putting down everything they can about the Pacers. I like the enthusiastic rantings of Sasson, JOneal7, ReggieMiller8325, 3ptmiller and others. I certainly don't agree with all there opinions, so I just don't post in the threads or just stop reading and move on.

Some of you guys just have to make a post in every single thread "they" make just to put them down. "They" are not the problem YOU are, and you know who you are.

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
You guys are all a bunch of whiney p*ssys, who gives a ***** what people post and if they love Artest or Reggie maybe just a little too much for your liking. As long as the trolls are kept out I'm a happy camper.

One of my favs and one of our best posters has an almost insane love for Dale. Does he get constantly beat down and told he shouldn't be here, no.

At least the over the top Reggie and Artest lovers are fans and are not trolls putting down everything they can about the Pacers. I like the enthusiastic rantings of Sasson, JOneal7, ReggieMiller8325, 3ptmiller and others. I certainly don't agree with all there opinions, so I just don't post in the threads or just stop reading and move on.

Some of you guys just have to make a post in every single thread "they" make just to put them down. "They" are not the problem YOU are, and you know who you are.

Beautiful post.

TheSauceMaster
03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't see why the current ignore feature isn't doable? You guys just don't understand , I really , really , really hate adding hacks to the board. Just like last time we had to upgrade I seen people moaning about the arcade cause the upgrade messed it up. Again I have to go through manually and redo all the hacked files everytime there is a upgrade which lately it's been pretty frequent.

All making the post diappear is gonna make that user make another username because they realize eventually no one can see there post , so again I don't see how this is gonna improve things. There infact is a hack that can do what your asking , but then again how long will it take someone the time to realize and make another account ?

Diamond Dave
03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Like I said, strength in numbers.:rolleyes:

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Please make Pacers Digest what it once was.

Like what? Bash every Pacer every day contesT?

efx
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Oh please do provide some evidence that it was ever like that.

Hicks
03-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Anyone else notice the ones that don't think there's a problem either call people haters, generalize like all hell, or have to call people names and deflect blame? Maybe I'm alone in noticing that.

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
oh sauveness...a little sensitive eh?
this whole board is way 2 sensitive...
OH NO HE DIDN'T JUST SAY A BAD WORD! OMG!

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh please do provide some evidence that it was ever like that.

The profanity used against Reggie Miller and our fellow Pacers...the Artest bashing...just do a search and you will find it all.

Hicks
03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Anyone else notice the ones that don't think there's a problem either call people haters, generalize like all hell, or have to call people names and deflect blame? Maybe I'm alone in noticing that.

Saving this from the botton of page 2.

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
btw...when did anyone say jay was smart? ha...he's smart? okkkkkkkkkkk

Hicks
03-10-2005, 08:40 PM
JO7, do yourself a favor right now and be silent. My patience is hanging by a thread with this whole mess right now, and I'm severely tempted to play the bad guy and clean this whole place up, fair or not.

SoupIsGood
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM

You're not alone.

I don't agree with what has been going on lately, administration-wise, but I am not really in the know either. I am sure there a plenty of good reasons for taking a softer approach, but it just comes down to what kind of board you want this to be.

Personally, I liked it better before. Sure, you may take on a few "nazi" remarks, and the like, but I felt you guys did a pretty good job in handing out punishment. There has to be a balance between excessive censorship and not enough, and I believe it was perfect previously. Just my two cents though.

Shade
03-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm closing this because it's degenerating into a mess. I'm going to let people cool off for a bit, refocus, and then I MAY reopen it later. I understand there is a legit reason for the thread's existence, but I'm trying to prevent anymore bannings.

Hoop, the tone of that post is not acceptable.

JONeal7, watch your step.

kerosene
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
:lmao:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet so maybe someone has reminded people about the ignore list. Mine's actually getting quite large. I wonder if there's a limit to now many people can be listed.

According to kerosene I shouldn't be so emotional about the board that I need to use the ignore list. I gues I'm just a pysco. :arrgh:

hey! where did i say that? i don't think i've ever replied anything like that to you. i haven't had time to drink lately either so i don't think it was that. besides, i'm not the "use the ignore list" admin, that's some one else :D

while we want to maintain an environment where high quality discussion can take place without many of the usual message board turn-offs there is also a concern about having an elitist attitude which is also a turn off. lately it seems like the discussion on this has come to the fore as some different ideas have been tried out. behind the scenes, without getting specific, there is not always agreement on what should be done but everyone is willing to give something a try to at least see if it can work. i think everyone knows that Hicks and the rest of the PD gang is trying to do the right thing; to find a working solution to our problems. suggestions are welcome; in fact some have been tried out, others have at least been discussed.

at the very least we're approachable and everyone will listen to your concerns or suggestions and bring them up on the admin board. if you don't want to do this publically, pm one of us. this ain't no vanity project, real work and energy goes into PD and it's for all of you. suggestions, comments and sending cartons of strawberry cheesecake ice cream is encouraged.