PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it great...

JOneal7
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
the sixers are failing miserably? hah...all the talk of them being contenders cause they got webber. Webber will always be a soft cookie....
Don't count us out yet...I like the idea of JO+JAX in the playoffs....

BigMac
03-10-2005, 01:11 AM
the sixers are failing miserably? hah...all the talk of them being contenders cause they got webber. Webber will always be a soft cookie....
Don't count us out yet...I like the idea of JO+JAX in the playoffs....

Agreed. There's still time to start to peak. I think Detroit peaked too early and Miami hasn't peaked yet but the league is so weak they haven't needed to yet.

It's all pretty moot as this is another year for the Spurs.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Agreed. There's still time to start to peak. I think Detroit peaked too early and Miami hasn't peaked yet but the league is so weak they haven't needed to yet.

It's all pretty moot as this is another year for the Spurs.

.....we've "PEAKED?"

:rotflmao:

Please tell that to my team, they've been sleepwalking for weeks......

Kinda funny how we've peaked without our best all-around bench player....

Jermaniac
03-10-2005, 01:19 AM
If JO and Jamaal get healthy, I agree I wouldnt count us out yet.

Bball
03-10-2005, 02:58 AM
This is the season of the IF. I'm going to start calling it the IF season.

Everything always hinges on "If this" or "if that" . Not one solid confident thing to hang our hats on, It' l abut the 'caveat'.
...I guess I could call it the season o the caveat.

Let's just put a asterisk on this season and try and forget it.

-Bball

BigMac
03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
.....we've "PEAKED?"

I say "yes" and that is because of your long winning streak and then the 3 game losing streak. So, if you were charting this on a graph, that would be a pincle, zenith, or peak and since the graph wold be on a downward direction, I would say that you've peaked. Plus the players will eventually (or already have gone there) become burned out of Larry Brown's coaching. It's happened everywhere he's been. I'd have to say 'no finals for you'. But if the Pacers were in the same situation Detroit is (in my viewpoint), I doubt I could see it either.

Bottom line, Brown wears on players. He's a great guy and the poor me thing goes only so far before everyone tires of it. 'It's been a dream to coach the Knicks'. 'I don't know if I'm cut out to do this'. 'This is my last coaching job'. Then the qualifier, 'This is my last NBA job'. And the list goes on. If you don't think the players hear that and don't lose a bit of respect for the coach and lose a bit of the flame and passion for a championship run, KStat, you are sadly mistaken. We all saw it here when he coached here, we saw it from afar when he coached the Sixers, we saw it in LA, we saw it in NJ, we saw it in S.A. His coaching stints before that were not as well documented but his story is the same everywhere he goes. Overachievers first year. Second year a bit of a let down, third year, burnout at the end of the season, and if you're fortunate, and I hope that you are, to have him for a fourth year, there will be disention on your team, he will be the cause but maintain plausible deniability and then quit (If he hasn't already by then). So, in closing. Yes, I believe they've peaked. And Larry Brown's history shows that this is the pattern wherever he's coached. And it's holding true again this year.

Fool
03-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Thats been going around a bit (that the Pistons have peaked) and I can understand why but my question is this. Why do the Pistons only get one winning streak before they're considered on the bad side of the "peak" perfomance for a season? This season has been pretty pathetic for the Pistons (in terms of effort) and the last winning streak was the only real confident superior (only at times) play of the season. So why if the Pistons put together a few wins once are they considered "over their peak", when teams often go on multiple streaks in a year and teams like the Spurs and the Suns aren't considered to have already "peaked" too soon when one of thier multiple streaks of wins comes to an end?

The Pistons have played like crap most of the year. I think the question most Piston fans have is whether they can give the same kind of effort in this year's playoffs as they gave in the playoffs last year. Because except for a few very brief flashes this year they haven't. Maybe its just the "only the playoffs matter" mentality but playing a regular season at half-effort isn't fun to watch nor comforting for the fans.

BigMac
03-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Thats been going around a bit (that the Pistons have peaked) and I can understand why but my question is this. Why do the Pistons only get one winning streak before they're considered on the bad side of the "peak" perfomance for a season? This season has been pretty pathetic for the Pistons (in terms of effort) and the last winning streak was the only real confident superior (only at times) play of the season. So why if the Pistons put together a few wins once are they considered "over their peak", when teams often go on multiple streaks in a year and teams like the Spurs and the Suns aren't considered to have already "peaked" too soon when one of thier multiple streaks of wins comes to an end?

The Pistons have played like crap most of the year. I think the question most Piston fans have is whether they can give the same kind of effort in this year's playoffs as they gave in the playoffs last year. Because except for a few very brief flashes this year they haven't. Maybe its just the "only the playoffs matter" mentality but playing a regular season at half-effort isn't fun to watch nor comforting for the fans.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pistons also have had a couple of decent winning streaks this year. At least a period where they went like 15-2 or something?

It's OK, young Skywalker (tongue in cheek). Keep in mind, we all saw first hand Larry Brown and his second, third, and fourth season. Couple that in with where we are in the season and you look at the Pistons peaks and valleys for the year and it's easy to draw the conclusion or hypothesis that I did. But it's OK that you don't see it. You are too close to see it. It's not personal or personal hatred, it's just how I see it from afar. And, yes, the Pacers have played like crap and IF they get Ron back and IF they get JO back, and IF Tinsley comes back, and IF Bender (scratch that)... they may make a decent playoff run (maybe 2nd round at best depending on their place in the standings.) If they finish in 6th place in the conference, they will play someone from the Atlantic or whatever that conference is called now. That should get them to a 2nd round matchup with, most likely, the Pistons. It may be a good series but the Pistons will win it. Then lose to the Heat and Shaq. Why? Because Detroit won't have the heart to beat a team 8 vs. 5 (refs & Heat vs. the Pistons). But I'm going to put my crystal ball away for the day.

Fool
03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
The 13-2 streak you are talking about is the very streak that ended with the 3 loses you cite in your earlier posts. (To clearify, the winning streak you refer to in your first two posts is the same streak you later reference as "another streak where they went 15-2 or something". I'm not trying to harp on this, I just wasn't sure if my opening sentence was clear enough). Aside from that one streak there has been only one other string of games where the Pistons consistently won and that was a 6 game streak (followed by 4 consecutive losses) over marginal teams (Suns minus Nash, Celtics before Walker, the Nets before Vince got hot) and most of the wins were less than spectacular.

I can't argue with the perspective issue as neither of us can change the point from which we see things but you mention "peaks and valleys" which I don't think are there. Its been mostly marginal play as well as record. I would say that "peaks and valleys" more accurately describes last season as the Pistons seemed to always be on either a winning or losing streak and then the Sheed trade happened. Anyway, like I said before, I understand that non-fans can see a string of losses after a winning streak and call "peaked!" (which I've certainly done as well) but I don't see the only real winning streak coming to an end as the pinnacle of the season, especially since its probably the one time the team has played 48 minutes of mostly good basketball for more than a game or two in a row.

Harddrive7
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I think that the only difference between this year and last year is that this year the Pistons don't have anyone that can come in, instantly start, and make them a better team.

Last year you guys were desperate for anything. Sheed comes in and boom, you guys are off to the races. Now that all that hype has settled down, there's nothing really left.

I think you guys need a spark of sorts and I just don't see you getting it unless of course you're betting on a bench player coming back from injury. Good luck with all that.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I think that the only difference between this year and last year is that this year the Pistons don't have anyone that can come in, instantly start, and make them a better team.

Last year you guys were desperate for anything. Sheed comes in and boom, you guys are off to the races. Now that all that hype has settled down, there's nothing really left.

I think you guys need a spark of sorts and I just don't see you getting it unless of course you're betting on a bench player coming back from injury. Good luck with all that.

This is all a bit of wishful thinking, I believe.

We're going to coast on occasion from here on out, because we really have NOTHING to play for until late april.

We can't catch Miami, and Cleveland has no chance of catching us.

So basically we're locked into the #2 seed.

We lose three straight west coast road games, and all of a sudden its because larry brown has "worn down" his players? Huh?

We've got more than enough ammo to beat Miami. The only question is, will we beat them.

Harddrive7
03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
We lose three straight west coast road games, and all of a sudden its because larry brown has "worn down" his players? Huh?

No, it's not really the losing streak, IMO it's the whole picture. I think it's just because we've seen his work and LB really hasn't given anyone any reason to think otherwise.

edit: You warned us about Rick and we warned you about Larry. Larry is just fanning out the way we thought he would is all.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
No, it's not really the losing streak, IMO it's the whole picture. I think it's just because we've seen his work and LB really hasn't given anyone any reason to think otherwise.

edit: You warned us about Rick and we warned you about Larry. Larry is just fanning out the way we thought he would is all.

....except if you go off of "what you've seen," then you'd expect larry to wear down his players by year 4 and 5...not years 2-3, which are usually his BEST years....

Harddrive7
03-10-2005, 01:31 PM
....except if you go off of "what you've seen," then you'd expect larry to wear down his players by year 4 and 5...not years 2-3, which are usually his BEST years....

Hmmn, I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that it was his thrid year that players would start tuning him out and then he would be gone by the 4th year.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Hmmn, I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that it was his thrid year that players would start tuning him out and then he would be gone by the 4th year.

well, the 4th year of his last job, he made the NBA finals.......

basically the common theme here isn't based on ANYTHING people have seen from the pistons this year, its, "we just hope the defending champs decide to suddenly quit when the playoffs begin because they don't like their coach." I mean, that IS the point you're trying to make, right?

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 01:32 PM
will you beat them? in all other terms...naw..

ChicagoJ
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I recall that the "tuning out" begins in year #2, but those players are usually treated as malcontents and traded away. By year #3, the rest of the team is burned out and usually is pining for the return of the malcontent.

Larry made a couple - excuse me Donnie made a couple major moves after Larry's first season in Indianapolis, bringing in Mark Jackson, re-tooling the bench, so his second year in Indy was much closer to the traditional "first season".

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I just want to see philly keep losing. LOL
I really thought the kings might contend this year. Then they trade webber...hahaha
webber will never get it done in the big game.
classic!

waxman
03-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Does a ring change the equation for LB?

Kstat
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Does a ring change the equation for LB?

Well, people seem to be clinging to the hope that things will turn out EXACTLY like last time, so I guess we can't count the ring, now can we......

besides, if they were going to quit on the coach this year, they'd have done so by now.

Not to mention, there is WAAAAAAY too much leadership and character in the locker room for such childishness.

waxman
03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Agreed K-Stat why would a team quit on the coach that led them to a championship the previous season? Does not compute...

His previous (and much lesser talented) teams may have quit... because, maybe his expectations were a little unrealistic.... for those squads... and failing to meet those expectations year after year would certainly cause turmoil/burnout/something.

shags
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
.....we've "PEAKED?"

Man, I can't believe I didn't catch this.

Kstat,
If Carlos Delfino is the Pistons' best all-around bench player, then Jonathon Bender is the Pacers' best all-around bench player.

You see something in Delfino that no one else sees. I like his talent, but I don't see him helping this season. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make the playoff roster. For crying out loud, even the Pistons' players are calling him out.

Kstat
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Man, I can't believe I didn't catch this.

Kstat,
If Carlos Delfino is the Pistons' best all-around bench player, then Jonathon Bender is the Pacers' best all-around bench player.

You see something in Delfino that no one else sees. I like his talent, but I don't see him helping this season. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make the playoff roster. For crying out loud, even the Pistons' players are calling him out.

The beatwriters have called delfino out. None of the PLAYERS have said anything.

Besides, FSD reported last night that he was going to be activated for friday.

I admit he needs to stop being a baby over his knee, but I refuse to compare him to Bender. He's only a freaking rookie.

And even you admit that he's got a lot of talent. Moreso than any of our other bench players, sans Arroyo and McDyess. He's explosive as hell.

_PD_
03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't think Larry's worn them down quite yet. A lot of teams have a let down after the championship. And up to the pistons, Larry's been pretty much a rebuilder. He came into a program with back to back 50+ wins, so this plot may have some more twists in it before it's over. Of course, the players, now that they have a ring, might be tuning him out for that reason. But he's inherited a talented and experienced team that knows when to turn it on come playoff time.

The Pacers had a long string of coaches before LB who all had a defining moment when they said "I don't know what's wrong." When LB finally said that, I knew he was done coaching the Ps. He's not at that point yet with detroit.

I agree the pisstons are just waiting around for the playoffs. Then they can get down to business. :(

shags
03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
The beatwriters have called delfino out. None of the PLAYERS have said anything.

Besides, FSD reported last night that he was going to be activated for friday.

I admit he needs to stop being a baby over his knee, but I refuse to compare him to Bender. He's only a freaking rookie.

And even you admit that he's got a lot of talent. Moreso than any of our other bench players, sans Arroyo and McDyess. He's explosive as hell.

Did you see the interview with McDyess last night?

Kstat
03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Did you see the interview with McDyess last night?

He never mentioned Delfino, as I recall.

He also has been quoted as saying that he's delfnio's biggest fan.

Regardless of all this, if Delfino mans up and plays with that knee, do you honestly think anybody is going to CARE?

When Tay and Rip are getting 5 minutes of rest per game more, because Delfino is out there playing, I doubt they'll sit and think, "may that guy is a wuss."

Besides, Delfino's GAME is anything BUT weak. He plays with zero fear.

JOneal7
03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
pistons=WEAK...enough said

XXSASSXX31
03-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Delfino is not that good of a player Piston fans think he is...just like Darko LMAO.