PDA

View Full Version : Is the guy in this picture who I think it is, or just an uncanny resemblence?

ChicagoJ
03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Gotta be him...

Kegboy
03-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Nope, that's him. I know some people like him, but I think he's a tool.

PacerMan
03-07-2005, 11:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2007443

http://espn.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/0307/photo/g_sign_il.jpg

So who is it?

Lord Helmet
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh, thats him...

Jermaniac
03-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Its that guy that goes to all the Pacers games and carries that board with all kings of writing on it?

sweabs
03-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Is it my imagination, or did he not come to these boards at one point to post a couple messages?

Bball
03-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Is it my imagination, or did he not come to these boards at one point to post a couple messages?

He at least replied to a :bunny: column where :bunny: apparently had some bad info about him.... or else :bunny: had it right but he didn't want that story out there (I think the gist was :bunny: said he got free tix from the Simons and he denied that).

I'm sure that was reprinted in the forum but I don't know that he actually ever followed it.

-Bball

sweabs
03-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Ah - thanks for refreshing my memory, Bball. I remember that well now. I think :bunny: pretty much insulted him, and the guy had to stick up for himself...which left :montieth: in an awkward position.

heywoode
03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
What's the story with the pancake bunny? Sorry, I'm new....I try to read old stuff to catch up, but there's only so much time in the day....actually, the correct term would be that there's only so much time in the night before I have to go to bed and at least get a few hours of shuteye.....

The bunny with the pancake is really starting to intrigue me, I gotta know.....

heywoode
03-08-2005, 08:38 AM
wow....that is a rather clandestine story.....thanks for the info....

I like Montieth, but agree that he can be a little soft....

Besides, I asked the question about why haven't the Pacers asked for Artest's reinstatement yet at the same time that the one that got published did, and he posted that one instead of mine! Mine was worded a lot better! hehe

grace
03-08-2005, 09:12 AM
So who is it?

Actually, Kegoby and I call him "Pink Flamingo Guy". Because he used to always have a pink flamingo with him at the games. Last time I saw him with one he gave it to one of Tony Dungy's kids.

Flamingo guy has lost his allure as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't come up with a new sign in awhile. What he does have gets darn old. I particularly don't care for the one where he compares Stan Van Gundy to Ron Jeremy.

sweabs
03-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Is he still at Pacers games this year with the same regularity as past years (with all that's gone on)?

Harddrive7
03-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I believe that he lives in Florida in the off season, owns a few businesses.

ChicagoJ
03-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Is he still at Pacers games this year with the same regularity as past years (with all that's gone on)?

He's only at the big games. I've never seen him at the arena for a Tuesday night game against NJ, like many other die-hard fans.

I don't doubt that he loves the Pacers, but he's there to make a spectacle of himself. I think he's a tool.

Stryder
03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
I think he's a tool.

Good call.

Kegboy
03-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Jay's spot on. The only thing he cares about is getting on camera. Why else would he only show up for the national tv games?

Los Angeles
03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe he only has signs at the Nat. TV games? How else would we recognize him? :)

The Montieth story was about 6-8 months ago.

During a Q&A, someone asked a general question about who the guy with the signs is. Montieth answered vaguely, and reported that this guy was seen at a hockey game during the lockout holding a "Who needs the NBA?" sign, displeasing important people. Montieth then added some statements that could at best be described as rumors and conjecture.

The guy read the article and replied, basically saying who he was, and otherwise stuck up for himself.

His foot in his mouth, Montieth answered "I just repeated what I had heard" and offered a half-assed apology.

I'm with the sign guy on this one. Printing half BS rumors about a longtime, ticket-paying fan in a major newspaper without first at least attempting to get the fan's perspective is low and at best sloppy, even by our "it's-just-the-Star-so-our-expectations-are-lowered" standards.

Who's next? You? Me?

Good luck in your new position, pal.

:thumbsdow

ChicagoJ
03-08-2005, 03:29 PM
One point, it was in the Q&A, which is not, to the best of my knowledge, printed in the newspaper.

But it wasn't MM's most savvy move, that's for sure.

_PD_
03-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I believe the guy's name is Matt Ason. He owns several restaurants in FL. One of them, or perhaps more than that, has a little Pacers shrine in it with all sorts of P memorabilia. It's a pretty cool tribute to the Pacers, more so than anything else I've seen, even here. I believe the restaurant is The Timbers in Sanibel. This guy is a for real fan. I've seen him on TV at Miami and Orlando games, rooting for the Ps.

Los Angeles
03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
One point, it was in the Q&A, which is not, to the best of my knowledge, printed in the newspaper.

But it wasn't MM's most savvy move, that's for sure.
Very good point. I don't get the paper, so I assume that the two correlate closely.

I don't think you would disagree here, but I think it is important to be said:

There should not be two different standards for accuracy in journalism, one for paper and one for screen. I consider both "publication" and used the words "print" and "newspaper" interchangably in this instance. Both The Indianapolis Star and Indystar.com are published by the same news source, with largely the same content. It is the largest news source in a mid-sized state in the United States, and should act like it.

Not only should there be one standard accross the specctrum of print/screen, I also don't think the Q&A should be given a different standard for accuracy than the other columns.

As the beat writer, Montieth comes from a position of relative authority, and everything he writes is published under the same banner. He should do his research in the same way, regardless of what the heading in the column says.

ChicagoJ
03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Agreed.

But I'm not sure they/he view them as being the same as you (and undoubtedly many others) do.

Keep in mind I'm still really curious about his Q&A allegations that the owners are upset with Stern - I can't imagine his editor would let him print that in the actual paper without something more to back it up with than "I keep hearing..."

Los Angeles
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Agreed.

But I'm not sure they/he view them as being the same as you (and undoubtedly many others) do.

Keep in mind I'm still really curious about his Q&A allegations that the owners are upset with Stern - I can't imagine his editor would let him print that in the actual paper without something more to back it up with than "I keep hearing..."
You know - this got me thinking.

We've had several little "snafus" when it comes to the star's Pacers reporting lately. The migrane bit, the rumors, the inconsistency, even removing mentions of the Pacers from nationally syndicated columns. How many of those had Montieth at the center?

And as far as I know, Montieth is also the only writer to ever mention that the owners are largely upset with Stern.

Now he's being moved off the beat - which is supposed to be a situation straight reporting - to columnist - which is reporting from a point of view.

Do you think this is all related?

OT - Maybe our montieth bit of this thread could be split into a new thread? Any admins willing?

Los Angeles
03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
You want me to do work?!?!!

Well **** you buddy.

But seriously, I don't care where this thread goes. It would have died 3 hours ago without this conversation.
HAHAHAHA

I don't mind it staying here, though I might start a new thread in a couple of days about the bunny. I'd like to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Thanks anyway!

Doug in CO
03-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I have seen this guy at every Boston/Pacers game - two rows in front of me - he is hard core

ChicagoJ
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
As I said, I don't doubt that he loves the Pacers. That's an intentional double-negative. That means that I agree, he loves the Pacers.

He also loves publicity.

I'm just saying I know plenty of people in the balcony that love the Pacers just as much as, if not more than, he does. And people on PD that are out-of-towners (and mere mortals or poor college students) that love the Pacers just as much as, if not more than, he does.

grace
03-09-2005, 08:49 AM

This from the same editors who cut things out of national articles just because what's written is less than flattering to the Pacers. And before all you :montieth: haters out there say he did it I think it had to be someone higher up than him.

MagicRat
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
You have $1.35?!?!

Wealthy prick.

I hear Shade has some extra if you need it.....

JOneal7
03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
I saw him in miami...dudes funny as hell.

BigMac
03-09-2005, 11:44 PM
I believe the guy's name is Matt Ason. He owns several restaurants in FL. One of them, or perhaps more than that, has a little Pacers shrine in it with all sorts of P memorabilia. It's a pretty cool tribute to the Pacers, more so than anything else I've seen, even here. I believe the restaurant is The Timbers in Sanibel. This guy is a for real fan. I've seen him on TV at Miami and Orlando games, rooting for the Ps.

All true. He used to own some restaurant's here (Indy) such as the Pawn Shop Pub and the Pawn Brokers Pub (I think those were the names). If you want to read more about his restaurants you can go to: http://www.prawnbroker.com/sanibelgrill/.

I've only spoken with him a couple of times and both times were at MSA at Market Square Gardens Restaurant after a game and he was soooo drunk he was hilarious. He was very friendly and having a great time not hurting anyone. He is definitely a Pacers fan but I have heard that some other sports franchises have paid him to come to games. But this is only rumor and I heard it second hand so don't take as gospel.

Only a guess here: He used to be a big ticket seat season ticket holder, and now he jets back here to go to some big games and since he's kind of a local Pacers icon, he may get a seat(s) that are open near the court or on the court-but most likely pays for them. Or he still has his season tix and only goes to games he wants to???

BigMac
03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm fairly sure that some article about him said that the Simons let him buy a small number of whatever tickets he wants. He gets to around around the whole "season ticket" thing. But I may just be making that up entirely. I assume the question marks mean you were asking a question, otherwise just ignore me since I thought that's what they mean.

Yep. ??? means I don't know. And you don't have to walk on egg shells with me-we're cool. But thanks for the courtesy, though. What you say makes sense. I'd bet that that's what the deal is.

B'town, check your PM.

BigMac
03-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Pm's checked.

Thanks. I'm slightly less firghtened now. :flirt:

Heck, nothing to worry about with me. The pen is mightier than the sword.